Career opportunities for music majors
If there is one question that career counselors & faculty advisors are asked more frequently than all others by students seeking assistance with career planning, it's this: "What can I do with this major" Usually, an undergraduate student in sciences and liberal arts is really developing an in-depth expertise in just one area.
Consequently, a better question to present would be able to be: "What skill am I developing in my major, and how might I explore careers that would require these skills?".
Study in the field of music offers a general creative education as well as analysis and skills in communication that are necessary in most careers. Usually, a major in music prepares a student for work in public relations, advertising, communications, business, performing arts, publishing and education.
- Awareness of music history
- Awareness of other cultures
- Attention to detail
- Ability to recognize raw musical talent
- Ability to describe ideas clearly
- Ability to help others develop skills
- Analytical ability
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work with people under tight deadlines & pressure
- Determining quality
- Fluency in sight reading, transposing or improvising
- Knowledge of instrumental literature
- Knowledge of genres and styles
- Logical reasoning
- Perfected performance skill on at least one instrument or voice
- Problem Solving
- Research/information gathering
- Verbal and written ability
- Vocal and instrumental knowledge
Suggestions to Enhance your music skills
- Learn how to use composing software.
- Learn to play a variety of instruments.
- DJ at the dances and activities at Brandy's.
- Volunteer at local elementary or high schools to help students learn music.
- Develop business relationships with schools and/or music stores to increase client base/network.
- Join the Entertainment Committee.
- Take advantage of the opportunities with UWRF campus choir.
- Work as a band camp counselor.
- Gain internship experience at local radio stations.
- Join the UWRF orchestra or band.
- DJ at WRFW.
- Become involved in competitions, apprenticeship programs & workshops to gain experience & recognition.
- Become involved in campus event planning.
- Participate in campus theater productions and musicals.
- Learn how to use electronic instruments & synthesizers.